Monday 19 December 2011

Archetypes

When I was about half-way through my illness journey, I remember reading 'Sacred Contracts' by Caroline Myss. She presents a wide range of archetypes and we are invited to examine the way we are leading our own lives and to spot the archetypal patterns we are running. The archetypes she mentions include Priest, Poet, Martyr, Puppet, Prostitute and many more. One of the archetypes I felt particularly drawn to was 'Wounded Healer'. And one the huge frustrations of this time was that although I was wounded I definitely wasn't healing! Of course my definition of healing then was largely defined by phsyiological healing, as you might expect from someone in a wheelchair. Looking back I can see that the most important healing of the mind, spirit and emotions was taking place during those years of searching and journeying. Getting the physiological body back to health was the last piece of a complex jigsaw.

I have been reflecting on this archetype recently. Whilst I have learned to make enormous changes in many areas of my life - my partner sometimes says I am a 'completely different person' from the pre-ill me - there are parts of my life where I know there is still work to do. Occasionally I do nervousness. Part of me knows this behaviour belongs to a 'me' of a previous era and is outdated and unnecessary. But despite my tools, knowledge and understanding, I make slow progress in this one area. How fascinating! Though the truth is that I am more often than not infuriated than fascinated!

Working with this part of me I am learning to see it differently, to value it, and to learn from it. It is, in some sense, my membership badge to the group of people I work with. It is part of my identification with the wounded healer archetype. Wounded, I search for the healing, the learning. What brings me forward is also what enables me to help others.

So how do we respond to parts of ourselves that don't seem quite in line with how or what we want to be? As ever, I'm brought back to Love. Love and acceptance for these parts of me that aren't quite ready to be updated and move on. Gentleness and compassion for the parts of me that I know are doing their very best for me. Where does this take me? Out of 'me' and back into God/Love.

It's a rather appropriate time of year to be taken back into Love. 'Love came down at Christmas...'

Happy Christmas x

No comments:

Post a Comment