Monday 9 May 2011

ME Awareness week: a message of hope.

The fact that ME is in the news this week has focused my attention once more on what an unpleasant and miserable illness this is.

When I was ill, there were hardly any stories of people who had recovered from it, and the general consensus was that if you were going to get better, it would happen within the first two years. I remember hitting the 5 year mark and descending briefly into despair. I hadn't heard of anyone who had recovered after such a long period of time. My lovely consultant refused to let me wallow in such sad stories, and told me that he knew of people who had recovered after even longer. A glimmer of hope.

What is different now is that there are so many people whose stories of ME recovery are out there. I am now one of many. The good news that I really want to shout from the rooftops to all those who have been diagnosed with ME or CFS, or those who live with or care for them, is that it is possible improve, to get better and to recover. I did the Lightning Process and recovered by learning how to change my body's responses, and was so amazed by what I learned that I decided to train to be a practitioner, so I could use my own experience to help others. I have been doing this for the past 3 years, and have seen many people improve their lives. It takes work and committment, for sure, and is not without its challenges...but it is do-able. Other people recover using different approaches. But the important thing to note is that improvement and recovery are now real possiblities. What a difference from when I was ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment