Sunday 13 February 2011

Valentine's Day 2007: the turning point.....

Valentine's Day 2007. 


I had been bed-ridden for several months, unable to feed myself or move. For the past few weeks I had been experimenting with completely switching off any mental thought process, and allowing my body to totally relax. I started doing this for 30mins 4 times a day and as I seemed better in this state than out of it, I increased it....and spent 5 or 6 hours a day in this state of suspended animation. During this time my partner found out about Lightning Process, and I knew that it was possible for people to recover from ME. I made a very strong decision that when I began to move and function again it would be as a well person.


My partner came home early on Valentine's Day, especially to make afternoon tea for me. I wanted to do something special for him, but my options seemed extremely  limited. So I decided that I would begin to experiment with teaching myself how to be a well person....and surprise him. Without telling him, I practised sitting up by myself in bed, and getting out of bed, and standing for a few seconds. Before I moved a muscle, I imagined how it would feel to sit up, and get up and stand as a well person. I imagined how healthy muscles would feel as they moved, what my posture would be like as a well person. I imagined it, then I did it.


Whilst my partner was making tea downstairs, I imagined not only getting out of bed, but also walking out of my bedroom to the stairlift, and sitting on it. Every time, I imagined what it would feel like to do it with a healthy body. Then, reminding myself of my commitment to do everything as a well person, or not at all, I got up and walked out of my bedroom to the stairlift. I paused, then pressed the buzzer. My partner heard the noise, and  appeared with a considerable degree of alarm! I told him that I was coming downstairs - the first time in many months - and that we would have tea together in the lounge. 


When the stairlift arrived in the hall, I paused again. My partner brought the wheelchair, and I told him that I wouldn't be using it. The walk to the bay window in the lounge was further than I had walked in a very long time. I set off, and started doing wobble and weak legs. I immediately returned to the stairlift, sat down, and began calmly going over in my mind how it would feel to make this walk as a well person. Then, reminding myself once more that I was going to walk as a well person, I walked confidently into the lounge. 


I can't tell you how delicious that tea tasted! And what a pleasure it was to be sitting and sharing Valentine's Day with my partner, like a normal person. This was the turning point; we both knew that after 9 years of illness I would, in time, be able to get completely well again. 


Valentine's Day is a special day for us.....

2 comments:

  1. So insprining, thank you for sharing your story

    Lyn Atkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it's good to remind oneself where you have come from, from time to time, and Valentine's Day is one of our reflection points. I am so grateful for being where I am today!

    ReplyDelete